Monday, August 31, 2009

What time is it?

I was awakened by the pleasant 'whoosh-thump' of nail guns. They are re-roofing the house next door. I am all in favor of roofs that don't leak. I am less in favor of working on the roofs before the sun is fully up.

Pup was up and barking at the idiots on the roof outside our window, so I drug my disgruntled self out of bed. I stumbled to the kitchen, poured a cup of tea, and squinted at the two teenagers on the roof. Something wasn't quite right.

To the bathroom, contacts in, and back to the kitchen. I sipped my tea and studied their progress. They were moving right along. Unfortunately for them, they were moving in the wrong direction. They were putting the shingles on upside down. I thought long and hard about not telling them. It seemed fair since they had woken me so early, but with interview season coming I need to store up all the good karma I can.

I opened the window and caught the attention of the nearest teen boy. "You should start from the bottom. You guys are putting them on upside down."

He stared me down. "Right. I'm sure you've roofed before. We know what we're doing." His buddy giggled.

I shrugged. I had tried. Their boss came by about 8. They spent the next hour ripping off all the shingles they had put on that morning. Looks like karma doesn't like being woke up that early either.

1 comment:

  1. I spent a good thirty seconds figuring out what "upside down" meant in this context. But yes, I got it. Of course, I'm not a roofer at all.

    ReplyDelete