Saturday, June 25, 2011

Haiti

I know I promised to blog about my trip to Haiti, but it has taken me awhile to be able to talk about the trip with my usual irreverence. The trip was life changing for me - which sounds cliche when I type it.  This may be a prosthelytizing series of posts, but the experience has changed my opinions on many things.

My flight to Miami was delayed, but uneventful. The flight from Miami to Port Au Prince was packed with volunteers for various groups.  People going to build houses, to teach vacation bible school, to work on clean drinking water, to build a church.  Southern Baptist men groups, Episcopalians, non-profits - they were all represented.  White haired church ladies and ten year old boys with their earbuds perpetually crammed in their ears were all headed down to help in some fashion. Everyone was aflutter about all the good they were going to do.

Me?  I was scared.


I knew I was the only general surgeon on this trip - an intimidating thought.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment