Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wait up!

I had a lunch date with a dear friend of mine a week or so ago.  We had agreed to meet at Punch's Pizza, a Neapolitan pizza place that always convinces me I need to eat an entire pizza by myself and not share with anyone.  I have fork tines sharpened and poised to attack anyone who gets any ideas about sampling my Margherita without advanced notice.  All that gooey buffalo mozzarella and that heavenly basil and those juicy fresh tomatoes.....yum.  But I digress. 


I arrived shockingly early by an entire five minutes.  I was very proud of this.  The line was pretty long and getting longer, so I decided to go ahead and get in line while waiting for Linda.  Every few minutes I would let a couple of people go ahead of me so we wouldn't be throttled when she came in and slipped ahead of the growing crowd.  After about twenty minutes the door swung open to let in a new gaggle of co-eds, and through the downpour I saw Linda searching the crowd.  I waved and called her name.  Still she scanned the crowd. I waved again and hopped up and down a little bit.  She turned and headed up the sidewalk.  The heavy wooden door slammed behind her.  


Shoot.  I excused myself from the line and headed after her.  That woman walks fast.  She was about half a block ahead of me, and I was trotting after her in heels sans umbrella in the rain. 


"Linda!"  She must have thought I came and left when she was late.  Gosh the traffic is loud here.  Are there noise ordinances on these buses?  My eardrums hurt.  


"Linda!"   I'm gaining on her.  Just a few more steps.  Oh, come on!  Seriously Mr. Traffic Light?  You just had to change right before I got there?


"Linda!"  


I dashed across the intersection as soon as the little man turned white.  I grabbed her shoulder and stuck my head under her umbrella.  

"Linda!  Thank goodness!  I've been chasing you for three blocks!"




Her name was Stacey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment