Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mr. Banker Man

I appreciate the fact that lending practices have become much more strict since the huge housing/crazy mortgage crisis we went through the last couple of years.  I agree that people should be held to higher standards and should only buy houses that they can afford. That being said...

I am still frustrated as bear with his nose stuck in a beehive that it is apparently darn near impossible to get a traditional mortgage after graduating from medical school.  Now, I know very well that I have a huge amount of student loan debt.  It's part and parcel of going to medical school and then getting a master's degree after that.  Oddly enough, those things cost money.  Money that I will be paying back.  Over the next thirty years.  So Mr. Banker Man, yes, I do already have a monthly payment on my brain that is just slightly lower than my proposed mortgage payment.

Also, Mr. Banker Man, we decided to be very conservative in the size of house that we would buy.  So yes, we carefully budgeted and applied for the loan only on my tiny little resident salary. We figured if we could get by on my salary for monthly expenses, Mr. Banker Man, that we could use DH's salary to do other things.  Like pay off those rascally student loans. Or plan for retirement. Or get haircuts.

I understand that these may be foreign concepts to you Mr. Banker Man. I understand that no matter how many times I offer, you won't let me use my brain as collateral.   I understand that you see things in black and white now, not all those delightful shades of grey that allowed you to hand out sub-prime mortgages for the past few years like the money would revolt and perform a military coup if it stayed in your bank too long.  I know that if I had walked into your bank two years ago, you would have been throwing dollar bills at me and I wouldn't even have to take off my clothes.  It's not that era anymore.

It's a shame.

I think we could have been friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment