Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Niagara Falls

Just like I have multiple tricks to help a patient poo, I have multiple tricks to help a patient pee.  Non-urinating also will buy you another day on my list and a catheter.  I've yet to meet the man who wants to have a tube shoved up his urethra, so tricks to pee are popular.

I was rounding with one of my attending's over the New Year holiday, and we had a patient who was failing his void trial (chance to urinate before the catheter and he became friends).  I had tried all my tricks and was out of advice.

My attending walked in the room, looked at the patient and said," Well, you aren't trying to pee lying there are you?  Stand up, my man.  Niagara Falls doesn't flow uphill."  

It worked.

Photo from Niagara Region.Com  

No comments:

Post a Comment