Monday, May 25, 2009

The girl who cried wolf

I am trying to raise Pup as a hybrid dog- both polished and raw. She goes to the city dog park during the week, and runs wild in the country on the weekends.

This weekend, she learned how to swim. One dainty auburn paw dipped in the pond. She looked up at me. I said 'all right', her command to go forward. She gathered herself up and jumped.

Forty minutes later I gave up any hope of getting my prissy city pup voluntarily out of the smelly country pond. I was pulling off my jeans preparing to jump in too when I had the eerie sensation I was being watched. I turned toward the woods.

A huge gray animal with pointed ears and a long fluffy tail came creeping out of the treeline. I froze. I had heard the howling the night before. There I was, stuck with my pants around my ankles and nary a shotgun in sight.

Pup scented the newcomer and bounded out of the pond, tail wagging. She bounced toward the wolf, and it bristled. It growled then snapped at her.

I was tearing my way across the field, hollering, and waving my arms. I was aiming for intimidating. I achieved crazy and ridiculous. Luckily for me, wolves are not good judges of appearances.

Pup yelped and scrambled backward, blood oozing out of her wounds. I started throwing everything I could get hold of at the animal- rocks, sticks, cow pies. (Gross, I know. Deal with it.)

The wolf ran for the woods. I scooped up my pup and ran for the house. She is doing fine now, just a few little scars. I am keeping a closer eye on the woods and a gun closer by my side.

I do have a question. If the Game and Fish Commission is firm that there are no wolves in this area and then one dies of unexpected lead poisoning, can the shooter be prosecuted for killing a non-existent animal? Or does this fall under the "tree falls in the woods" clause in the law?

No comments:

Post a Comment