Tuesday, July 7, 2009

High Treason

I always secretly wanted to be a Grinch or a Scrooge, but I love holidays. All holidays - I don't discriminate. I'm Irish on St. Patty's Day and Mexican on Cinco De Mayo. I love having people at my house celebrating. I think I get this from my grandmother - this and my flair for the dramatic.

Growing up, we spent the Fourth eating BBQ, watermelon, and homemade ice cream. Come dark, we'd head up the hill and camp out on the grass to watch the fireworks. We were serious about lighting fireworks. No wimpy matches or cigarette lighters for us. Blowtorches, ladies and gents. That really gets the job done.

This year I was stuck in the North, so I only heard about the Butterfinger ice cream and the Roman candles at home. To ease my homesickness, we had people over for grilling and ice cream. The burgers rocked. Cajun spices, sharp cheddar cheese, barbeque sauce, bacon, tomatoes fresh from the garden, Romaine, fried onions, kaiser buns - heck yeah. I don't eat brats, but I heard they were good too. Processed meat freaks me out. Pound cake, ice cream, berries, whipped cream. We celebrate treason in style.

Prior to the fireworks, M. and E. announced their engagement. While I'm not sure Independence Day is the most apt day for that, it was still very nice. They've been together eight years - several years longer than DH and I have known each other. Some people wade into things. I'd rather leap.


No comments:

Post a Comment