Thursday, March 31, 2011

Elections

I just received the email that our team mission is a "go".  We were informed last month that we might be canceled depending on the election results and resulting response in Haiti.  The election results were supposed to be announced tomorrow.  They have now been postponed until Monday after we arrive.

They also told us that the security threat was level 4.

That's very helpful, but they failed to tell us how many levels there are.  Is level 4 somewhere around "don't walk around wearing big diamonds as you might get robbed" or more like "the plagues of locusts and frogs have nothing on the stuff you are about to see"?

Slight difference.

Either way, I am DEET and permethrin prepared.  It won't do much for the locusts or frogs, but at least the mosquitoes might leave me alone.  I would like to avoid malaria if at all possible.  I have accepted I will probably catch something.  I just would like it to be a manageable infectious disease.


* Image is courtesy of WHO Malaria Department.  It can also be found here.  I do not own this image nor claim to have any rights to this image.*

No comments:

Post a Comment