Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 2 in the hospital

Julia took me to get a metro pass for the month today. I attempted this on my own yesterday, but got nowhere with the lady behind the counter. Julia, with her alternating cajoling and demanding Czech got much further. There was one small snag in the plan. They needed a passport size photo to put on the pass. Now while I am undoubtedly vain, I don't regularly carry around wallet size photos of just myself. I do carry around wallet size photos of my family.

M., thanks for sharing my genes.

Lecture this morning was in Czech, but I followed a great deal of it. They work much more on the "pulling student in front of class and drilling until embarassed" theory of education here. It went pretty well for me.

Hip replacements are a little different here too. The implants are essentially the same with the cups being slightly different. Also, they are doing elbow replacements - they only work for 3-5 years before failing due to fracture, so I'm not sure of the indication, but there they are.

Clinic is different too. Washing hands is a rarity, hand sanitizers are seen as often as leprechauns (note: they do not celebrate St. Patrick's Day here), and they spend two to five minutes with each patient. On the positive side, I'm at the nicer hospital, all patients strip down upon entering the room (gownless! Drapeless! Take that PAS and OSCE's!), and no one complains about the wait.

I'm looking for vintage shops this afternoon. Wish me happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment