Monday, March 2, 2009

Hablas Cesky?

Lost seems to be a permanent condition of mine. Big surprise to those of you who know me well, I'm sure. Woke up late this morning, threw on my doctor clothes, ran downstairs, grabbed a kolac (poppyseed, blech), and hopped on the tram.

Going the wrong way.

Shoot. Hopped off the tram, got on another, made it to the metro, got on the green line. This would have been fabulous had I needed the green line. I needed yellow. Finally got on the right metro and made it to the hospital. I was an hour late.

Now I have seen some big medical centers- Baylor comes to mind. This place could have eaten them for a mid-morning snack. My instructions were "go to the orthopedics department".

There were seven orthopedic departments. NO ONE spoke English. Heck, I even broke out Spanish and a smattering of sign language. No go. I see a sign for Foreign vsitors ( that is not a typo). "Hooray," I think,"someone will speak English." Ah, optimism. You get me every time.

They did not speak English. Ricky Ricardo had a better handle on it. I made it through three of the departments before I found a friendly face.

Her name is Julia. (She's blonde and nice just like my other Julia at home). She's a fourth year medical student here, which is the same as a first or second year in the U.S. She's Russian and thus gorgeous. I also met two guys from London, Farris and Hugh, also in her year.

We have decided to trade talents. They don't know anything about physical exam, diagnosis, or reading xrays, and I know nothing about getting around here. I think I'm getting the better end of the deal frankly.

Another positive about this place - the students only work from 8 until noon. Seems like a much more civilzed arrangement than we have at home. The students all wear jeans and long white coats. I was overdresses in my slacks and sweater. Better luck tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. See if this gorgeous Russian future doctor needs an American husband. If so, I can PROBABLY find one.

    Hope you get to learn some sweet orthopedic stuff!

    B

    ReplyDelete