Tuesday, March 10, 2009

These Boots

Had an excellent lecture on pediatric orthopedics today. I feel my learning was enhanced by my outfit. Today I am wearing my tough-girl boots I picked up at one of the vintage stores here. I like to think the previous owner wore them in the revolution and resistance against Communism. They have kicked some KGB secret police butt in their past. Scoliosis doesn't stand a chance against these suckers.

After lecture, caught a bus to Melnik, home of one of the oldest wineries in Bohemia. (I like to call the Czech Republic Bohemia too. It sounds so earthy.) Toured the chateau and the wine cellars from the 1300's. It blows my mind sometimes the sheer age of this country. The first castle was built in the 900's. Isn't that incredible? This vineyard was established by Emperor Charles IV. I don't recall what he was emperor of exactly, but good call on the grapes Chuck.

The bus ride was an hour of fun. I spent ten minutes arguing with the lady about my student status for ticket discounts I know I'm getting old (Happy Birthday honey!!), but I think I can still pass for under thirty. Especially since I am under thirty! I won after pointing out that no professional adult would be wearing butt kicking boots in the middle of the work day. I also had a student ID card. Shared my aisle with a couple of chickens in a cage. Before I would have questioned this, but now I know about the egg thing.

I also finally understand why the Czech people immigrated to Nebraska. It looks exactly the same. Rolling hills, farm plots, strips of trees around houses, and a bar every mile and crossroad. I still don't get why people immigrated to Minnesota. You would think they would have veered left when the winter came. Lewis Black does a great bit on that. Google it.
Sampled some wine, had a fantastic early dinner of pit roasted venison, quail, and dumplings. Caught the bus back and am getting ready to go out with Russian Julia and crew. Finally talked them into taking a night off from studying. They take this being a doctor thing WAY too seriously. I will Americanize them one by one.

One more thing -

Happy Birthday DH!!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog....you make me laugh every time I read it. It sounds like you are having a great time!!! Love ya~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's great to hear that people are reading (and more importantly enjoying) the blog. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete