Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mining towns

Wednesday we made a day trip to Kutna Hora, a mining town east of Prague. We caught a bus and an hour or so later pulled up at the station. James had a whole trout for lunch. We offered 50 crowns for him to eat the eye, but he wouldn’t take it. I don’t blame him. I probably would have a put a piece of lettuce over it during the meal though. It freaks me out when my dinner is watching me.

We toured Saint Barbara’s cathedral, then went to the ossuary in Sedlec. It was decorated with the bones of over 40,000 plague victims and pilgrims. It was also seriously creepy. Grabbed some snacks at a local grocery store. They have onion, ham, steak, and paprika flavored potato chips. The steak ones are surprisingly good. We went back to the bus station and spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out which bus would take us back. We managed to pick the bus that took the scenic route. I think we went through every small town between Kutna Hora and Prague. I am quite aware that buses need to fill up occasionally. However, I have never been on a bus full of passengers that pulled off the road to fill up in the middle of the route until this trip.

Cleaned up at the hotel, then back to Wenceslas square to meet up with Dan, a guy we know from Prague that visited the U.S. last year. He took us to a pub near my first hotel that had decent food, large portions, and excellent beer. We went for a drink afterward at a pub up the road. He talked the waitress into selling us a couple of the Pilsner glasses. Walked back to the hotel and headed to bed - we had to get up early for our road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment