Sunday, March 1, 2009

Well, I made it to Amsterdam.

Well, I made it to Amsterdam. To the amazement of my flight neighbor and stewardess, I slept through the whole flight. Apparently they tried to awaken me a few times, but I was having none of that. Benadryl is awesome. Woke up fifteen minutes before landing. Thank goodness - I awoke to rows of over caffeinated teenagers bound to Africa on a mission trip.

"I hope they speak English b/c otherwise they won't know what we're saying." "Do you think they have iPods?" My personal favorites though "Your passport is red- did you dye it? Oh, it's cause you're from Holland?......pause..... Do you wear wooden shoes?"

I found myself in an Ikea upon disembarking or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Who knew they designed the airport AND the stores? No jet lag yet though I'm sure it's coming.

Getting to the hotel was a nightmare. The metro system seems very effective, but incredibly confusing at first. Also there seems to be a lot of residual Communist anger... No one has yet to be friendly, no one smiles, and all service is given begrudgingly.

My jeans are about three sizes too big for me in this part of Europe, I wear far too little eye makeup, and I smile too much. It's like I have American tatooed on my forehead- I stick out something fierce.

No comments:

Post a Comment