Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Irish, part 1

For the loyal readers of my blog, I apologize. Last week was a touch trying and a smidge stressful and I was not able to blog. I will try my hardest to be extra charming and amusing the next few weeks to make up for my lapse in writing. There will be a surplus of entries today. Try not to gorge yourself all at once. For those unfaithful readers, I hope you contract a cyber-STD. Serves you right for straying.

Last week while I was lurking on the stairs of my hotel trying to catch a wifi signal, I met a lovely group of Irish firemen. They were in town for a holiday and proclaimed Prague "brilliant". Upon hearing that my husband wasn't coming until next week and that I was spending the evening alone, they insisted I come out to celebrate St. Patrick's day with them.

We went to an Irish pub not far from the hotel. They ordered a round of doubles. Apparently one beer at a time is not enough. We sang Irish songs I didn't know at the top of our lungs. We cheered on Liverpool in a soccer match. I learned all about Gaelic football (my new favorite sport) and the finer points of shoulder tackles. We toasted every saint I have ever heard of and a few I hadn't. There was a drinking contest between the Irish patrons and the Czech regulars which devolved into an all out brawl. In the middle of swinging fists, one of the Irish guys nodded at me. "Could ye order another round love?"

I loved them.

I was crushed when they had to go home. Luckily, the boys were coming on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment